Solar is More Accessible Than Ever
A local resident or business subscribes to a percentage of the solar farm based on their electric usage.
The solar farm generates electricity into the local grid, producing bill credits which are distributed to members.
Each month, members of the project receive the credits on their electric bills, reducing their electricity charges.
All the Benefits, None of the Hassles
Community Solar allows homeowners, renters, municipalities, and businesses to easily participate in solar, regardless of their ability to install a solar array on their own property.
Savings on Your Electric Bill
No Panels on Your Roof or Property
No Maintenance Required
Local Renewable Energy
Community Solar Subscription Terms
Going Solar the Easy Way!
Savings: Real savings on your electric charges at a 10% Discount off the kwh rate.
Simple: No upfront fees. Only pay for the electricity you receive at a discount to the utility.
Flexible: Ability to move and retain membership.
Cancellation: No cancellation fees for any reason.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Can I Save?
- You can offset up to 100% of your electric charges from the utility. For residential and small business customers, DRS offers a 10% discount to the value of the solar energy. Therefore, you can save up to 10% off your total electricity charges.
Can I participate if I have Budget Billing with NYSEG?
Customers should contact NYSEG / RGE to remove Budget Billing prior to enrolling in Community Solar.
How Do I See My Savings?
- The solar project generates electricity, and each month customers will receive their portion of the solar electricity in the form of bill credits which will offset charges on their electric utility bill. After the credits offset your electric utility bill, you pay DRS for the credits at a 10% discount to their face value.
Do I Still Get Power From the Utility?
- Yes. Your current electric service will not be interrupted, and you will still receive your electricity from the utility as you do now.
Does Community Solar Benefit the Local Communities?
- Yes! In addition to providing local jobs and financial savings on community member's electricity bills, DRS solar projects benefit the local communities through increased tax revenue, local jobs as our teams live and work in the communities we serve, preservation of the farm land for future use, local partnerships, use of local vendors, and much more.
Community Solar reduces the amount of energy generated from coal and natural gas plants, improving our local air quality and health, and for each customer who participates in community solar, the impact in terms of carbon emissions reduction is the equivalent of no longer driving a car for the life of the project, 20-30 years!
Who Can Participate in Community Solar?
- Homeowners, renters, non-profits, and small businesses with an active NYSEG / RGE account can participate. Participating members must be located in the same utility territory as the solar farm.